Silver linings



A point was made at work recently that if you choose to be miserable, you can always find reasons to be so. This is not in reference to suffering depression where you can't control the cloud that descends upon you but just a general way of living. A colleague from a private company was known to be a miserable sod and his relief made the comment that can't he be happy just once? Can't he just see the bright side and be happy he is going home after a long shift?
I actually agreed with this, as much as I have been guilty of this attitude myself, it was even said to me as recently as last night to make the best of a bad situation (RE flying to the USA at the second worst possible time of year for me). I will be making the best of it. Kevin tells me the company has put us up at a nice hotel and I know my airfare and my food are free so why not be happy and accept that I will be going and so take my camera and have some fun.

The blog Becoming Minimalist which I discovered on Bloglovin' had a guest post from Rachel Macy Stafford
She writes some great ways to see the brighter side of life.


Along my Hands Free journey, I've discovered eight ways to let happiness into the sacred spaces of my day and life. I will be practising as many as I can this season, and I’d love for you to join me.

8 Ways to Gather Happiness:

1. Use the phrase, “I’ll wait for you,” or “We have time.” 
Such offerings only cost a few minutes but have the potential to bring instant peace to any situation.

2. Accept one invitation that will make someone else happier.

Yes, you can throw a penny in the fountain.
Yes, we can read one more book.
Yes, we should have a date night! Let’s get the calendar.

Then notice the joy YES brings; that joy is yours for the taking.

3. Decline one request that will result in greater happiness.

No, that doesn’t work for me right now.
I wish I could, but I can’t.
It’s no for today, but please ask me another time.

Feel the relief NO brings. Commend yourself for guarding your time and energy.

4. Be a Silver-Lining Spotter.

In the midst of a challenging moment, find the bright side:

Well, at least we didn't miss the whole thing.
Well, it could be raining too.
Well, at least we had a few minutes to talk while we waited for the doctor.

Added bonus: This positive practice teaches your loved ones to be Silver-Lining Spotters too.

5. Believe in the power of one.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the tasks or duties ahead of you, remind yourself that you do not have to do them all at once. Just start with one. Get into the habit of asking: What matters most right now?

6. Use meaningful measurements of success.

Resist the urge to let society define success by achievements, awards, monetary value, or public recognition. Consider attributes like courage, effort, honesty, patience, determination, risk-taking, and compassion when evaluating yourself or your loved ones. Make a point to acknowledge your beginning point and frequently celebrate your progress.

7. Provide breathing room.

Remind yourself that you and your loved ones need time to pause each day. Don’t let guilt or pressure fool you into thinking do-nothing moments are a waste of time. Say to yourself: “This is my breathing room. This is fuel for my soul. This pause will help me be more creative … more productive … more joyful … more present.”

8. Fulfill true needs rather than superficial needs.

In the flurry and frenzy of our busy lives, our most critical needs often get buried beneath extraneous needs and immediate needs. But the needs that keep our spirits alive, strengthen bonds, and build promising futures are the needs that must not be forgotten. He needs love. She needs love. You need love. And we have the power to fulfill that need.

Anything you could add?

Comments

Popular Posts